LiteCommerce:Modifying Product Details
To review and update the details of any particular product, locate the product in the store database using the product search mechanism, and in the search results page click on the name of the product to switch to the 'Product info' page (Figure 5-19).
The following product details can be edited:
- SKU - product ID number used to identify the product in the store catalog.
- Product name - the name by which the product is listed in the catalog.
- Category - the name of the category to which this product belongs. Change the value of this field if you want to move the product to another category. The list of existing categories is provided in a drop-down menu.
- Price - the price of one item of the product.
- Tax class - tax classes can be assigned to products which are subject to special tax regulations. Assigning the appropriate tax class makes it possible to automatically calculate correct tax amounts when a customer adds a product to the shopping cart, provided that taxation rule exists for that class (see the section "Managing Taxes" of this manual for full details on defining tax classes and configuring tax schemes). If the product is not subject to any specific taxes, choose option 'None'.
- Weight - the weight of the product measured in weight units specified in the 'General settings' section.
- Free shipping - this option specifies whether a product is subject to free shipping.
- Available for sale - this option makes it possible to temporarily hide the product from the store catalog by switching it to the 'Disabled' state. Switching it back to 'Enabled' makes it visible again.
- Thumbnail - a graphics file displayed in the category listing of the catalog along with the name of the product. To remove the file currently being used as a thumbnail for the category, click on the 'Delete' button to the right from the 'Thumbnail' field. To replace it with another image file, click on the 'Browse...' button and locate the new file on your computer. The graphics file must be in GIF, PNG or JPG (JPEG) format. By default image files are stored in the database of your online store. To upload the image file to the 'images/' folder instead of placing it into the database, checkmark the corresponding 'Upload to file system' option.
- Note: To ensure that your catalog pages look nice, it is recommended that product thumbnail files are formatted to have identical sizes in pixels. Since these files are displayed in the catalog along with several other pictures, it is also recommended that icons have reasonably small file sizes.
- Image - a graphics file displayed in the product details page of the store catalog. To remove the file currently being used as a product image, click on the 'Delete' button to the right from the 'Icon' field. To replace it with another image file, click on the 'Browse...' button and locate the new file on your computer. The graphics file must be in GIF, PNG or JPG (JPEG) format. To upload the image file to the 'images/' folder instead of placing it into the database, checkmark the corresponding 'Upload to file system' option.
- Product page title - the title displayed in the header of the customer's browser when he accesses the page with the product details. If left empty, the data from the 'Product name' field is used instead. When your store visitors bookmark product pages from your catalog, product page titles are saved in their bookmarks.
- Brief description - a short description of the product used in category listings.
- Detailed description - a detailed description of the product, which appears in the product details page of the store catalog.
- Meta keywords - keywords which describe the product. These keywords are used by search engines when indexing your store and are not visible to your store visitors.
- Meta description - a phrase describing the product. Along with the 'Meta keywords', this field does not appear visually on your site, but affects the indexing of your online store by various search engines.
- Pos. - a numeric value which defines the position of the product within the category listing.
When you finish making changes to product details, click on the 'Update' button to save your changes. The updated information becomes instantly available at the Customer Zone.