This page is a 'plain words' explanation of X-Cart's licensing policy, not a legal document.
- 1 Obtaining a license
- 2 License URL
- 3 Registering installed X-Cart
- 4 Keeping your license info up-to-date
- 5 Development copy
- 6 License verification
- 7 Troubleshooting
Obtaining a license
To use X-Cart shopping cart software, you are required to have a license. A license can be obtained in one of the following ways:
- by purchasing X-Cart shopping cart software from our company (license is granted to you directly);
- by purchasing X-Cart shopping cart software from one of X-Cart users (license is transferred).
No matter which of the above ways you choose, at the time of purchase you will be supposed to:
- supply to us your personal and contact information;
- specify the type and quantity of X-Cart software products you want to use;
- provide to us a License URL - a valid URL where the software will be run;
- confirm your acceptance of the terms and conditions of X-Cart Software License Agreement.
As soon as the necessary information is submitted to us, our company will issue a license to you that will allow you to use X-Cart shopping cart software in a manner provided by the terms and conditions of X-Cart Software License Agreement. An online version of X-Cart Software License Agreement is available at http://www.x-cart.com/software_license_agreement.html.
To install an X-Cart based online store, you need to have a domain name (your ‘address’ on the Internet, what people will type into their browser to find you).
While purchasing X-Cart shopping cart software, you are supposed to specify the domain name that will be used for your online store as your License URL.
Please note that any one license allows you to have no more than one live online store at any given moment. That is to say, you cannot have two separate online stores running on the same license, no matter whether they are installed at the same domain or at different domains.
Registering installed X-Cart
A fresh installation of X-Cart is licensed for evaluation purposes only. Since X-Cart shopping cart is provided to you with open source code, you can customize its design and functionality in the way you need it. However, you must keep the evaluation notice visible on all storefront pages without having to scroll the pages down until you purchase a paid license.
To upgrade your license please purchase X-Cart paid license and register your copy as follows:
1. Make sure that no HTTP-authorization and firewall restrictions are set on incoming HTTP-connections to your X-Cart installation.
2. Login to your X-Cart Account with your username and password.
3. Go to "My licenses" section.
4. Check whether the license URL is correct. If it is not, follow the "Change URL" link to the right from the license URL and replace the license URL with the correct X-Cart installation URL.
5. Follow the "Register X-Cart installation" link to the right from the license URL.
6. Open the "Summary page" in your X-Cart installation in order to ensure that registration was successful.
7. In case any problems arise during purchase or registration please contact us.
Keeping your license info up-to-date
It is your obligation to inform us about any changes in your license data so we can keep our records up-to-date.
You can view your current license information at any time via your X-Cart Account.
You are allowed to install one additional copy of X-Cart shopping cart software on a local computer for development purposes. By development we mean any activity aimed at preparing the software for commercial use at the URL for which appropriate license has been previously obtained. The development copy must not be made publicly available: any copy of the software appearing on the Internet is subject to licensing.
If necessary, you can check the validity of an X-Cart license at the following URL: http://www.x-cart.com/verify_license.html.
Unable to register X-Cart (connection error: unexpected response code "404")
Please make sure you use the correct license URL. You can obtain the correct license URL from the license warning message in X-Cart admin back end. There should be a message stating:
- Check whether the license URL is http://example.com. If it is not, follow the "Change URL" link to the right from the license URL and replace the license URL with http://example.com.
Unable to register X-Cart copy configured at non-standard port (i.e. example.com:8081)
If your X-Cart is configured to be accessed at non-standard port, you may be receiving the following error when trying to register:
- This X-Cart Gold installation is registered for HTTP://EXAMPLE.COM, not for HTTP://EXAMPLE.COM:8081 where it is installed right now (as set in the configuration file "config.php").
To resolve this issue open include/func/func.core.php file for editing, find the following code:
$aliases = array( $http_location, $https_location );
and replace it with:
$aliases = array( preg_replace("/([^:]*):[\d]+(\/.)*/", "$1$2", $http_location), preg_replace("/([^:]*):[\d]+(\/.)*/", "$1$2", $https_location) );
My site / X-Cart was switched off. How is this possible?
In general, the X-Cart licensing mechanizm does not influence store functioning.
According to the licensing policy, X-Cart distributed for evaluation purposes is fully functional, though it doesn't allow accepting payments, while a paid X-Cart license grants the right to run a fully functional shopping cart online. Neither evaluation nor paid X-Cart installation can be switched off by the X-Cart company, this can be done only by the hosting provider.
Hence, you should contact your hosting technical support to find out if they've had any temporary issues on their side which could cause store down state.