X-Cart:POS system module system requirements and installation
The module requires Java 5 or higher to be installed on your machine (required to run the qz-print Java applet). For help installing Java on your platform, see the Java tutorial (https://code.google.com/p/jzebra/wiki/TutorialJavaInstall).
The minimum set of hardware required to be able to use the module includes a Barcode Scanner and a Receipt Printer. Such a set will be enough for stores that identify products using the barcodes printed by the manufacturer. If you are going to print your own barcodes, you will also need a Barcode Printer. We guarantee that X-Cart's POS system module is compatible with the following hardware:
It's possible that other models can be used, but the ones listed above were tested and proved to be fully compatible.
To install the module:
- From the File Area section of your X-Cart Account, download the archive with X-Cart's POS system module. The file you need will have a name like x-pos-system-x.y.zedition-with-installer.tgz, with the edition part of the file name stating the X-Cart edition (gold, goldplus or platinum), and the numbers x, y and z designating the version of X-Cart for which the module archive is intended.
- Copy the contents of the module achive for your specific X-Cart version to the X-Cart root directory on your server or hosting account.
- If you are using a Windows-based server, or a UNIX-based server without terminal access:
- a) Unpack the module archive to a directory on your system using your favorite compression program (WinZIP, 7-Zip or any other archiver with support for TAR files).
- b) Use an FTP client to upload all the files contained in this directory (retaining the directory structure) to the X-Cart root directory on your server or your hosting account.
- If you are using a UNIX-based server with terminal access:
- a) Use an FTP client to upload the module archive to the X-Cart root directory on your server or your hosting account.
- b) Unpack the archive using the following command:
tar -xzvf x-pos-system-x.y.zedition-with-installer.tgz
- (Replace x-pos-system-x.y.zedition-with-installer.tgz with the actual file name).
- Important: Make sure you keep the directory structure while unpacking and uploading the module archive, otherwise some necessary files may be overwritten!
- In a web browser, run the installation script httр://<YOUR_XCART_DOMAIN>/install-pos-system.php replacing <YOUR_XCART_DOMAIN> with the actual domain name of your X-Cart store. This will start the installation wizard.
- Carefully read the License agreement, enter the Auth code for your X-Cart installation into the Auth code field and select the "I accept the License Agreement" check box.
- Click Next to continue. The installation process will start. The installer will make the necessary changes to your X-Cart installation, and the module will be activated.Note: If you are using a custom skin, you will need to patch it manually. Otherwise, the module will not work in this skin.
- Once the process is completed, click Next. This will open the next screen where you will be asked whether you wish a new system fingerprint to be generated.
- Make your selection (Yes/No) and click Next. If you have chosen to generate a new system fingerprint, it will be generated. The process of generating a system fingerprint may take up as long as a few minutes. Once the generation process is completed, click Next. If you have chosen to skip the generation of a system fingerprint, you will be taken to the next step.
- After clicking Next you should see the "Installation complete" screen. This is the final step. It informs you that the module has been installed successfully. It also reminds you to remove the module archive file in case you put it in a web accessible directory; this is needed to protect the module from unauthorized copying.
Important: At the final step of the installation process, the installation script install-pos-system.php is automatically renamed as an additional measure to protect the module installation. Please take note of the filename to which the installation script was renamed. If you decide to re-install or uninstall the module later on, you will need to rename the installation script back to install-pos-system.php before launching the installation process in your web browser.
Now if you choose to view the list of your store's installed modules (this can be done using the Administrator area link provided on the "Installation complete" screen), the module POS system for X-Cart will be on the list:
Note that after the module has been installed, it is already in the enabled (active) state. You can temporarily disable the module using the module deactivation instructions from the section POS system for X-Cart: Activating and deactivating the module.
Uninstallation completely removes all the data related to the POS system module from your store.
To complete the uninstallation, you will need to run the POS system module installation script. You might remember that, after the module was installed in your store, the script was saved with a new name to help prevent unauthorised runs of the installer. Now, before you start, you need to rename the script back to its original name - install-pos-system.php.
To uninstall the module:
- Run the module installation script in your web browser by going to httр://<YOUR_XCART_DOMAIN>/install-pos-system.php (be sure to replace the <YOUR_XCART_DOMAIN> part with the actual domain name of your X-Cart store). This will start the installation wizard.
- At the first step of the installation wizard, select "Uninstall the module", enter the Auth code for your X-Cart installation into the Auth code field and select the "I accept the License Agreement" check box.
- Click Next to continue. The uninstallation process will start. The installer will make the necessary changes to your X-Cart installation, and the module will be deactivated.
- Once the process is completed, click Next. This will open the next screen where you will be able to generate a new system fingerprint.
- Generate the system fingerprint (or skip it). After clicking Next you should see the "Uninstallation complete" screen.
This is all. The POS system module has been uninstalled.